Sufficiency of Specialist places for Children and Young People with Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND) across the Bradford District
The Local Authority has a statutory duty to keep under review the provision it makes for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) whilst also ensuring there are sufficient specialist places available to meet the needs of the growing SEND population.
Bradford has experienced a significant increase in demand for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) provision in the last 10 years. It is projected that the demand for SEND provision in Bradford will continue to grow and it has been identified that additional specialist places across all sectors in the Bradford District are required. This initial consultation is to share and gather information on the development of further specialist provision places to enhance the current specialist provision offer across the District.
To maximise the opportunities for expansion and creation of new provision we will keep under review any possibilities of expanding and re-configuring existing spaces to maximise the capital allocation.
In 2019/2020 we proposed to increase the amount of specialist places available through a range of services by expanding and developing further specialist provision to enhance the network of Special Schools, Early Years Enhanced Specialist provision (EYESPs), Resourced Provision places both School and Local authority led in mainstream schools, that are required to meet the current and future needs of children and young people with a range of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
In July 2019 the council; executive approved the development of:
- 34 resourced provision places and
- 40 additional special school places.
In addition to the proposals, 215 additional specialist places were also proposed across the academy sector, requiring approval from the Regional Schools Commissioner. The Regional Schools Commissioner approved these in July 2019. This left a further 65 places to develop.
We are now seeking the views of all stakeholders and interested parties on the development of further additional specialist places to be delivered within the Bradford District.
These are as follows:
The Local Authority is proposing to increase the number of places for pupils in the following maintained Special Schools:
- Beechcliffe Special School – from 144 to 224 increasing by 80 additional places proposed for secondary aged Children and Young people with Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs (SEMH). This proposal is to develop a split site of Beechcliffe Special School by closing of the Ellar Carr Pru.
The Local Authority is proposing to increase the number of Resourced Provision places by:
- Resourced Provision (RP) for 12 primary aged children with Communication and Interaction needs including Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) at Fagley Primary School
The Local Authority is proposing to redistribute Early Years Enhanced Specialist Provision (EYESP) places by:
- Reducing Abbey Green Nursery school Early Years Enhanced Specialist Provision from 20 part time places to 10 part time places
- Developing an EYESP at Midland Road Nursery School to deliver 10 part time specialist places
Your views are important to us, please take a few minutes to answer our short questionnaire by following the links:
- Beechcliffe Special School- https://surveys.bradford.gov.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=157251078892
- Abbey Green and Midland Road Nursery Schools- https://surveys.bradford.gov.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=157251080374
- Fagley Primary School- https://surveys.bradford.gov.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=157251081419
or if you do not have access to the internet or you would prefer a paper copy of this questionnaire or any of the documents, please contact– 01274 438260 or email SENDPlacesConsultation@bradford.gov.uk
We are also holding a number of public consultation meetings. Please see details of the scheduled events below
- Monday 11th November 2019 1.00pm-2.00pm Keighley Library Annexe – Spencer Street, Keighley, BD21 2BN
- Or Thursday 14th November 1.45-2.45pm at Bradford City Hall– Centenary Square, Bradford BD1 1HY
The pre-consultation closes on Thursday 18th November 2019. All responses must be received by this date.